Our papers are 100% unique and written following academic standards and provided requirements. Get perfect grades by consistently using our writing services. Place your order and get a quality paper today. Rely on us and be on schedule! With our help, you'll never have to worry about deadlines again. Take advantage of our current 20% discount by using the coupon code GET20
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper
Week 1 Discussion
If it ain’t Baroque……..
PRELIMINARIES: Each week our discussion has two parts–usually the first related to one assigned chapter for that week and the other related to the week’s other assigned chapter. Do both parts. There is also an EXPLORE list under the topic each week. Be sure to use that instead of any random googling for answers–you are required to use the class text each week and at least one of the EXPLORE-listed websites. HINT: The Explore list normally suggests what page numbers to focus on. ANOTHER HINT: For weeks 1-2, you have free eChapters available in the Student Center–use them if awaiting shipment of the book. ANOTHER HINT: When using the eBook purchased via our bookstore, when you just click on the on-screen page, the page number appears on the lower left of the screen. Jot it down.
STEVE JOBS: “I always thought of myself as a humanities person as a kid, but I liked electronics. Then I read something that one of my heroes, Edwin Land of Polaroid, said about the importance of people who couldstand at the intersection of humanities and sciences,and I decided that’s what I wanted to do.” and “It’s in Apple’s DNA that technology alone is not enough —it’s technology married with liberal arts, married with the humanities, that yields us the resultthat makes our heart sing.” (quotes fromIsaacson, 2014). As we do the two subjects below, keep in mind that sounds and visuals are two key aspects of a workplace environment and a sales environment, as well as for places we live and get entertained.
Please respond to both of the following, using the class text and sources under the Explore heading as the basis of your MAIN POST response (reminder—be sure also to do TWO GOOD REPLY POSTS to classmates):
- Listen to one composition that demonstrates the qualities of the Baroque musical style. It may be from the Websites below (links) or from this week’s Music Folder. Identify your choice, and describe it by relating key terms from the textbook to your selection. Explain what you like or admire about the work. Compare it to a modern soundtrack or song that evokes a similar mood.
- Select one Baroque style painting from the pages or websites given below that no other student has selected. Identify each as to artist, date, and title or description. From the summaries of the Baroque style’s features in our class text, identify specific key aspects of each painting that fit the Baroque style. Explain why you selected each and what you like or dislike about it. Compare this style to a modern film, type of film, or to a modern situation.
Monteverdi and Vivaldi
- Chapter 21 (pp. 707-710), Baroque music and composers; review the Week 1 “Music Folder”
- Monteverdi’s Orfeohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGm5TNbA1r4 (Monteverdi Tu sé Morta lyrics with translation: http://www.mhhe.com/socscience/music/kamienb/briefcd/lomont1.htm )
- Vivaldi’s “Spring” from Vivaldi: A Man For All Seasons at http://www.npr.org/2011/07/18/104868631/vivaldi-a-man-for-all-seasons and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFHPRi0ZeXE (background and lyric translation at http://www.baroquemusic.org/vivaldiseasons.html)
Baroque Visual Arts
- Chapter 21 (pp. 689-691; 701-703) and Chapter 22 (pp. 715-720; 726-735); Baroque style and its characteristics; Baroque in the north
- Baroque samples at https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/monarchy-enlightenment/baroque-art1/beginners-guide-baroque1/a/baroque-art-in-europe-an-introduction; (also seehttp://www.artinthepicture.com/styles/Baroque/ and click on the names of the artists to see their works)
- Examples of Baroque paintings from the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam at https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/explore-the-collection/styles/baroque (click on images; go full-screen; click “i” for info on the artist and date and painting)
We offer the best essay writing services to students who value great quality at a fair price. Let us exceed your expectations if you need help with this or a different assignment. Get your paper completed by a writing expert today. Nice to meet you! Want 15% OFF your first order? Use Promo Code: FIRST15. Place your order in a few easy steps. It will take you less than 5 minutes. Click one of the buttons below.
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper